Sunday 1 May 2011

Substituting Rowan Kidsilk Haze



Kidsilk Haze must be one of Rowan's bestselling yarns. As I am writing this entry, Kidsilk Haze has been stashed 11813 times on Ravelry, knitters have produced 14396 garments with the yarn and it's a consistent favourite amongst designers. I have personally met the yarn in my local yarn store, I have touched it, my eyes have feasted on the fantastic colourways in which it is produced and I regularly drool over photos of Kidsilk Haze and other yarns in the Kidsilk family when browsing through online yarn shops. Yes, there are several members in the Kidsilk family: Kidsilk Spray, Kidsilk Night and Kidsilk Aura, which I believe has now been discontinued. I love them all.

Rowan Kidsilk Haze


And yet, I have resisted buying Kidsilk Haze. I first came across Kidsilk Haze in a pattern book by Laura Harding. I had been knitting for a mere few months then and didn't know anything about yarn and the price tag that comes (quite rightly) with certain materials - Kidsilk Haze is a blend of Super Kid Mohair (70%) and Silk (30%). Blissfully ignorant, I looked it up on the internet and was quite simply taken aback by the price. Just about having completed my first fingerless glove in an awfully cheap acrylic yarn, I was after a yarn that was a bit more luxurious, yet affordable, a yarn with a purchase price, which I, an absolute beginner, could justify in case my project went horribly wrong. Therefore, I was unable to buy Kidsilk Haze. I didn't think my level of skill would do the expense and the beauty of the yarn justice.

Nevertheless, if I didn't allow myself Kidsilk Haze, I at least wanted something like Kidsilk Haze. And so the endless quest for a substitute had begun - alongside the perennial search for Kidsilk Haze at a knockdown price: That illusive skein of Kidsilk somewhere on sale for less than £3.50. (Yeah, I know...it's never going to happen.) Considering that 25g currently retail at just over £8.00, you are lucky if you are able to locate a skein for £5.95, and that would be in a discontinued colour, of which probably only one skein is held in stock. It has crossed my mind that instead of buying gold bullions for investment purposes, it might be just as prudent to have a few skeins of Kidsilk in your vault. I don't think prices for the stuff are about to drop any time soon and it might be a good hedge against inflation.



Patons UK Misty


In the light of all this praise, I need to make absolutely clear that I don't think any substitute not equivalent in materials will ever come close to Kidsilk, but this is not necessarily the task a cheaper alternative is supposed to fulfil. When substituting yarn in this particular case, I am aware that a cheaper alternative will produce an approximation in texture and look. I am perfectly happy with this - for the time being.

Patons UK Misty

After months of searching for this alternative, I found a possible candidate: Patons UK Misty, a blend of Mohair (70%) and Polyamide (30%) with a recommended needle size of 3.25 - 5.00mm (US: 3 - 8). Due to the Polyamide replacing the Silk content, Misty is a lot shinier than Kidsilk Haze. I haven't started to knit with Misty in earnest, but as far as first impressions go, I think Misty could be a frugal alternative. The yarn looks and feels luxurious. Whether it can live up to my expectations will soon be put to the test.




I have ten skeins of Misty in my stash and a few suitable patterns in mind. I will probably start swatching next weekend.  Ice Queen by Rosemary (Romi) Hill, which is available free on Knitty's website, or Branching Out by Susan Lawrence, a pattern which was the subject of a previous article and which is also available on Knitty's website, are two possible candidates.

Update: I decided to use Patons (UK) Misty for Citron by Hilary Smith Callis. For more on this, please have a look at my Citron blogpost.

Another update: I have used Misty for another project. This time, it was a stole designed by Cheryl Niamath. Project notes are now available on the blog. For a preview picture, please see below.

Wisp by Cheryl Niamath

3 comments:

  1. i just stumbled across this and I couldn't agree with you more... I get so frustrated when I look in in knitting magazines and see the pricetags for some of the yarns they use... My favourite was a hat & gloves set that when knitted with the recommended yarn would cost over £50!!! no way can I justify that =[... so I find myself here, I found a pattern in a magazine for a gorgeous jumper that requires kidsilk haze and was wondering about a different, yet still gorgeous yarn... I may have found it in Rico Design Creative reflection... its lovely and has a sparkle to it - 46% virgin wool, 46%% acrylic, 8% polyester.. http://www.deramores.com/rico-design-creative-reflection
    and at less than £3.50 for 50g (240m) it seems quite affordable... depending where you look its listed as DK or 4 ply, but looking at it i would say its more of a 4ply thickness.
    sorry for going on, and thanks for sharing =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you have any suggestions for artificial budget friendly cotton or acrylic alternatives that would create a similar effect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a number of manufacturers have crowded this particular segment of the wool market and Rowan, which is a division of Coats Crafts, are no longer top dog. The general rule of thumb is the less natural fibre content, the cheaper the yarn. Debbie Bliss, Schoppel Wolle, Bergere de France and many others all have their own Kidsilk equivalents. I have seen some on sale at loveknitting.com at reasonably reduced prices, especially when compared to the cost of Kidsilk Haze. It's a good time to shop around now, I think.

      Delete